Background

Friday, September 5, 2014

5 for Friday and Classroom Reveal

Is it just me or is the 2nd week of school the worst?! I mean, you are not exactly in the routine yet, it's a 4 day week and the novelty of the new school year has worn off. Also, by the 2nd week of school, I'm officially behind on the zillions of things on my to-do list. Such as "blogging". :( Anyway, I didn't want to miss one of my favorite linky parties! So I'm combining some things :) 


Today I got my first SLANT Box! My new friend Ashley from CANADA sent me all kinds of  cute stuff...I didn't get a pic of the contents but she basically got all my favs...candy, supplies, magnets, pens, and a subtle invite to Canada during the summer. [[Any more 100+ degree days and I may be making my way sooner rather than later!]]




This pic is from the first day of school. The kids in my 3rd class of the day begged for independent reading time. I NEVER deny independent reading time! 


My little Jacksie Bear is going to be ONE in one week. We had an early birthday with his great grandparents last week and my talented cousin made this adorable rubber ducky cake. It is too darn cute. Jackson wasn't actually interested in the feeding-himself part but he loved the icing and cake.   


Welcome to my University of North Texas themed classroom! We are MEAN GREEN'd out and I am so proud. :) Listen, I LOVED college. LOVE Denton, TX and LOVE UNT. I am thrilled to represent UNT. [[Our school is part of the No Excuses University network, so every classroom is a university and no repeats are allowed---I have been another university of 4 years but finally I get to be my alma mater!]]  

 This is the view from the door. It has been said that my classroom looks like a bag of Skittles exploded. I'm okay with that. I am all about color :) The bulletin board above the library area is for book recommendations but I am still trying to figure out how I want to do that because I want the recommendations to come from the kids but I also want to be able to provide them too. I'll get to it...eventually. 

 The bulletin boards over the computers are where my anchor charts for the unit will be housed. Right now we are "Launching Reading Workshop" [Fountas and Pinnell style + Comprehension Connections style!] so I have my Reading Is Thinking up as well as my Reading Salad anchor chart. 

If you can't read the "title" of the boards, it says "Read like a Writer, Write like a Reader". We usually talk about what that means and why Mrs. Andrews would want to put that up on the wall. :) Anyway, hopefully this will be filled with anchor charts galore in the coming weeks as we start our study of literary texts (my favorite!) 


So the top picture of my classroom library area is dark because I took it in the afternoon when the sun was shining through my big window. I LOVE having a giant window and I do all my whole group teaching on the floor while I sit in BIG JOE (the green chair--available at Walmart!). The only drawback to the window is that we don't actually have blinds, and we aren't supposed to have curtains unless they are flame-retardant SOOO I don't have curtains....And when other classes go to recess, we sometimes get distracted.
And I have a Christmas tree. In September. But it's really a UNT tree so it doesn't count as Christmas decor and even if it did, I love it and my kids love reading by the tree. :) 
Picture books, myths and biographies on this shelf
Fiction books :) ..don't know why I didn't snap a pic of my nonfiction shelf but that collection isn't as extensive. 
 



This is "my" area. I have files I need on a daily basis, teacher materials, supplies, my phone, laptop, etc. and on the tall black bookshelf, I keep my guided reading/literature circle materials for all 3 classes (79 students!). 

There you have it, room 410. Where we get down to the business of reading! 


I've shown you my room but I have to share these other cutie rooms from teachers on my campus. The first one is our 2nd grade Gifted/Talented classroom, Ms. Hamilton's class! Leta is like the queen of cute. Her shabby chic classroom is adorable. I want to be her student and read in the library area with the clouds! How cute is this?! 



Right inside the door (She was still decorating)

Leta's teacher desk area
 
I totally stole this pic from Leta's FB but how cute is she?! Are you at all surprised by the cuteness of her room when you see how adorable she is? Bonus: She is the sweetest too. Glad you're at Elliott, Leta! 


Next classroom: one of my besties, Emily! We have been friends since 2nd grade when we went to Elliott together. (We are teaching at our old school!) She teaches Kinder and it has to be the cleanest, most organized kindergarten class in the world. And it even smells good. I'm not sure what kind of crazy magic she does every afternoon, but it ALWAYS looks this clean before she leaves. 
View from the door!
Library and supplies area plus the word wall
Calendar/Whole Group Area
 This is Emily. Isn't she cute too? I love having one of my longest and most wonderful friends on my campus but since we teach completely OPPOSITE groups (she's Kinder, I'm 5th) we hardly ever see each other during the day! 



Alright, thanks for sticking with the longest 5forFriday EVER. Check out the linky party for first/second week stories and other fun stuff! 
Hope you have a wonderful weekend :) 

3 comments:

  1. I love that you get to teach with such a good friend- too bad that you aren't both at the same grade. Your son is adorable BTW.
    KinderIrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad Andrea recommended this lil'ol blog! As a mean green alum myself, I'm already hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin, you have done so much work to make your classroom both super inviting and organized! Your students are loving your class & most importantly you are getting great books into the hands of your kids & promoting the love of reading every day! I am so proud to have you as a fellow Elliott Educator! Keep up the awesome work with your blog!

    ReplyDelete